One of many surest, most uplifting indicators of summer time: traditional Rhubarb Pie! This model is tangy and candy, and it lets the tart taste of rhubarb shine! A flaky, buttery pie crust brings all of it collectively.
Why You’ll Love This Previous Common Rhubarb Pie
- It screams SUMMER! On the finish of dreary winter, brilliant rhubarb is very cheery. It’s a few of the first produce to hit the farmer’s market. If it hasn’t arrived the place you reside but, this pie works nice with frozen rhubarb.
- The Proper Quantity of Sugar. It is a rhubarb pie is for rhubarb lovers. As a substitute of cups of sugar that drown out the rhubarb, this pie makes use of a extra reasonable quantity so the rhubarb could be its brilliant, tangy self. It’s nonetheless candy sufficient to style like dessert.
- It Begins With a Profitable Crust. My Entire Wheat Pie Crust is a reader-favorite—as buttery and flaky as you desire a pie crust to be, made straightforward within the meals processor. You possibly can swap your favourite pie crust (or use store-bought to hurry issues up).
- Straightforward to Put Collectively. You don’t should be a grasp baker to make this tasty deal with—you don’t must precook the filling, and it’s easy sufficient for novices. You possibly can wow with the lattice prime if you wish to go the additional mile, nevertheless it’s simply as scrumptious with out it.
- It’s the Greatest Strategy to Get pleasure from Rhubarb. Rhubarb lovers unite! That is the dessert for having fun with rhubarb in all of its tart-and-tangy glory.
About This Rhurbab Pie Recipe
Rhubarb appears like a ruby-red model of celery, however as a substitute of a light, recent taste, these rosy stalks pack a severe tart punch!
That tart taste might be why rhubarb is so usually paired with candy strawberries in recipes, a la my Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp. (After all, the truth that each strawberries and rhubarb are harvested across the similar time helps too.)
That mentioned, I like traditional rhubarb pie with out the strawberries’ intervening.
It’s received its personal tasty thang goin’ and deserves to be appreciated (save these recent strawberries for this Straightforward Strawberry Pie).
When rhubarb is used by itself, it’s usually doused in sugar—so! a lot! sugar! This overcomes the mouth-puckering sourness, nevertheless it additionally overpowers the distinctive taste that makes rhubarb such a delight.
Make Rhubarb Scones, Rhubarb Ice Cream, and this selfmade rhubarb pie with simply sufficient sugar to make the rhubarb palatable and yummy, with out utterly negating its particular pure tartness.
Tips on how to Make Rhubarb Pie
- Pie Crust. I take advantage of my Darn Good Entire Wheat Pie Crust, however you possibly can substitute your individual go-to pie dough recipe—simply make sure you’ve received sufficient dough to make a prime and backside crust (or you can also make a rhubarb crumble crust along with your favourite crumble topping).
- Rhubarb. Use recent rhubarb stalks or frozen.
- Granulated Sugar. You possibly can add extra sugar in the event you’d like, however my testers agreed that 3/4 cup was the right quantity for balancing the sweet-and-tart flavors on this rhubarb pie recipe.
- All-Goal Flour. Because the rhubarb bakes, it’ll launch juices; the flour helps thicken them for an ideal jammy filling.
- Kosher Salt. Only a bit for stability.
- Freshly Grated Nutmeg. Optionally available, however freshly grated nutmeg is admittedly one thing particular. It’ll give the pie a really refined heat.
- Unsalted Butter. Dot on prime of your fruit pie filling to make it shiny (and delish).
- Egg. Beat it with a little bit of water to make an egg wash for that bakery-style sheen.
- Turbinado Sugar. Or one other coarse sugar you will have readily available like Demerara.
- Whipped Cream. I feel rhubarb pie is finest loved by itself, or with a dollop of whipped cream on prime of the pie. Whereas I usually adore my pies a la mode, rhubarb pie I favor with out vanilla ice cream, which might conflict (however you do you!).
- Make the Pie Crust. Divide the dough into two parts with one a bit bit bigger than the opposite. Chill as directed.
- Roll the Crusts. Place the larger one in a daily 9-inch pie dish.
- Make the Filling. Toss collectively all the substances in a big bowl.
- Assemble. Add the remaining sugar to the crust, then pour within the filling, prime with the butter, and add the highest crust. Do a lattice or one other geometric form in the event you really feel fancy!
- Egg Wash. This provides the pie a reasonably sheen. Milk or cream work too.
- Bake. You’ll do that at 2 temperatures. Begin rhubarb pie at 425 levels F for quarter-hour, then proceed baking at 375 levels F for 50 to 55 minutes.
- Cool. Let the pie cool utterly. It’s exhausting however price it. ENJOY!
- To Retailer. Wrap cooled rhubarb pie with foil or plastic wrap, or switch leftovers to an hermetic container. Retailer at room temperature for as much as 5 days.
- To Freeze. Freeze for as much as 2 months and let the pie thaw within the fridge earlier than serving.
What to Serve with Rhubarb Pie
- Different Spring Desserts. When you’re placing collectively dessert choices for a celebration, strive pairing rhubarb pie with Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie or Strawberry Cake.
- Mild Primary Dishes. Wholesome spring dishes like Inexperienced Goddess Salad will provide help to save room for dessert!
- Easy Toppings. A dollop of whipped cream is admittedly all it is advisable to make this rustic rhubarb pie shine. Or get pleasure from all of it by itself.
- Pie Plate. A glass one is nice so you possibly can control how the crust is browning.
- Rolling Pin. For rolling out the highest and backside crusts.
- Pie Crust Defend. Though strips of foil work, in the event you bake quite a lot of pies, you’ll be glad you invested in a pie crust defend. I take advantage of mine usually!
Recipe Suggestions & Tips
- Maintain an Eye on the Crust. If the sides are browning too rapidly, place strips of foil over them or add a pie crust guard.
- Make the Positive the Coarse Sugar Sticks. When you don’t use the egg wash, you possibly can substitute half-and-half, cream, or milk. With out one in all these, the coarse sugar received’t keep put.
- Don’t Overlook the Vents. They’re essential for letting the steam escape. If the steam is caught contained in the pie crust, you’ll find yourself with a soggy rhubarb pie.
- Let the Pie Cool. It’s exhausting to be affected person when you will have a heat rhubarb pie staring you within the face, however you have to resist! Chopping into the pie too quickly gives you messy slices that ooze out all over the place.
- 1 double crust Darn Good Entire Wheat Pie Crust or your favourite pie crust or store-bought crust (sufficient for two, 10-inch rounds)
- 5 cups sliced rhubarb about 1 1/3 kilos; if frozen, don’t thaw
- 3/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar*, divided
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg elective
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter lower into small items
- 1 giant egg crushed with 1 teaspoon water for an egg wash**
- 1 tablespoon turbinado or comparable coarse sugar
- Whipped cream*** elective for serving
- Put together the pie crust and chill for 1 hour as directed (or as much as 2 days). When able to bake, place a rack within the heart of your oven preheat to 425°F.
- Divide the dough in two, making one half barely bigger than the opposite. Return the smaller half to the fridge.
- On a reasonably floured work floor (I like to make use of a bit of parchment or wax paper so I can simply transfer the dough), roll out the bigger half right into a 12-inch circle (if it’s too stiff from being within the fridge, let it relaxation at room temperature for a couple of minutes, till you possibly can roll it). When rolling, all the time work from the middle of the dough outward, rotating the dough now and again as you go (this gives you a greater, extra even circle, much less tearing, and also you’ll have the ability to gauge if the dough is sticking to your work floor, which you don’t want). Work quick, as a result of the dough will get sticky because it warms. Flour the work floor and your rolling pin as little as is manageable (however don’t be afraid to make use of flour if dough is sticking). If at any level the dough will get too sticky to deal with, simply pop it again within the fridge to agency up for a couple of minutes (that is the place the parchment paper turns out to be useful). When you have any tears or cracks alongside the best way, don’t stress. Simply patch them collectively.
- Switch the dough to a daily 9-inch pie plate (not deep dish)—I wish to fold the circle over the rolling pin, then use the rolling pin to unfurl it gently into the plate. Ease the dough down into the plate (don’t pull to stretch it or it’ll bounce again). Pop into the freezer.
- On a sheet of parchment or wax paper, roll out the second (smaller) portion of dough in an 11-inch circle; in the event you’d wish to make a lattice, lower it into 1-inch strips. Use the paper to position it within the fridge whilst you put together the filling.
- In a big bowl, stir collectively the rhubarb, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, flour, salt, and nutmeg.
- Take away the underside crust from the freezer. Sprinkle the remaining 1 teaspoon granulated sugar over the underside. With a big spoon, switch all the rhubarb combination (together with any juices if the rhubarb is recent or dry bits of flour and sugar if it’s frozen) to the plate, spreading it into a good layer.
- Scatter the butter excessive of the rhubarb filling.
- Drape the highest crust over the filling (or prepare the lattice). Trim the pie crust to 1/2-inch overhang all the best way round. Tuck the highest crust below the underside crust. Crimp the sides along with your fingers (or maintain it straightforward and easily press alongside the sides with the tines of a fork). If not utilizing a lattice, with a pointy knife, lower 5 to six vents within the prime.
- Use a dry brush to brush away any extra flour from the crust, then brush the crust throughout with the eggwash.
- Place the pie on a parchment-lined baking sheet and sprinkle with the turbinado sugar. Bake on the middle rack at 425°F for quarter-hour, then cut back the temperature to 375°F. Proceed baking till the crust is deep golden and also you see bits of filling effervescent out of the vents, about 50 to 55 minutes extra, rotating the pan 180° midway by way of (in case your rhubarb was frozen, you may want to increase the baking time by 10 minutes or extra). If at any level, the crust edges get too darkish, defend the sides with foil or a pie crust guard.
- Let the pie cool at room temperature COMPLETELY! (This can take not less than 4 hours and is tough however price it). Slice and revel in with whipped cream, or nothing in any respect!
- *The quantity of sugar as written yields a tart, rhubarb-forward pie that we and our style testers beloved. When you like your pie sweeter, add a further 1/4 cup.
- **When you favor to not use an egg, you possibly can brush the crust with half-and-half, cream, or milk.
- ***Whereas I often adore my fruit pies a la mode, rhubarb truly tastes higher with out ice cream. When you’d wish to prime it, serve with whipped cream.
- TO STORE: Wrap cooled rhubarb pie with foil or plastic wrap, or switch leftovers to an hermetic container. Retailer at room temperature for as much as 5 days.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze for as much as 2 months and let the pie thaw within the fridge earlier than serving.
Serving: 1 ( of 8)Energy: 325kcalCarbohydrates: 35gProtein: 5gFats: 18gSaturated Fats: 6gPolyunsaturated Fats: 2gMonounsaturated Fats: 9gTrans Fats: 0.1gLdl cholesterol: 27mgPotassium: 286mgFiber: 2gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 155IUVitamin C: 6mgCalcium: 82mgIron: 2mg
Often Requested Questions
No, you don’t should cook dinner rhubarb earlier than baking it right into a pie—it simply provides an additional pointless step to the method!
Some recipes name for tapioca or cornstarch, however I favor utilizing flour to thicken rhubarb pie. It retains the filling from getting a gummy texture, and I all the time have it readily available.
You don’t all the time must peel rhubarb for pie, but when the stalks are very thick or stringy, it’s a good suggestion to both peel them or discard any components that really feel particularly fibrous. Often, rhubarb harvested within the spring doesn’t should be peeled, whereas rhubarb from later within the season can be a bit harder.
No, you need to use your complete stalk of rhubarb, even components which might be inexperienced. Simply be sure you discard the leaves.
The mix of flour and sugar will assist thicken the rhubarb filling, and reducing vents into the highest crust will enable moisture to bake off. This, mixed with letting the pie relaxation till it cools utterly, ought to maintain your rhubarb pie from being runny.
If you’re baking a pie or crisp with frozen, chopped rhubarb, don’t thaw it first. Merely use it proper from the freezer, breaking apart any stuck-together items, then prolong the baking time as wanted.
Listed below are some extra of my favourite summer time pie recipes: